By Dr. Anke Zimmermann, ND, FCAH
1) CEASE is an acronym for Complete Elimination of Autism Expression. A Dutch medical doctor and homeopath named Tinus Smits called it that. Why, I don't know. When I first read about CEASE I was a bit taken aback by the name because it seemed to make a bold claim, so I understand why it has become a target. Perhaps a different name would have been better. Maybe it should be renamed. Maybe it really works that well but we don't have enough research to prove it at this time. In any case the name is a problem to the extent that our own Naturopathic College has now forbidden us to use it in our advertising. Understandably.
2) That being said, I have personally never claimed or promised that any treatment I use in my practice can 'cure' anything. The press is misrepresenting this and I am now looking into legal remedies to defend myself. Headlines like: "Naturopath boasts of curing child with rabid dog saliva' and 'Naturopaths promise complete elimination of autism' are misleading and untrue as well as defamatory.
Just because I may use a method called CEASE Therapy does not mean I promise that it will eliminate or cure any or all cases of autism. Tinus didn't claim that either. I am very clear with my patients that any autism treatment takes time, often 1-4 years or more. Younger children are more successfully treated with any autism therapies, whether that is ABA, OT, biomedical care or homeopathy. Prognosis is better with early intervention as the brain is more plastic and is still growing more quickly. So a child less than two years old has a much better chance of substantial recovery than a 15-year-old for example.
Combination of Homeopathy and Nutrition
3) CEASE is nothing new really. It's just a combination of various homeopathic approaches together with diet suggestions and certain nutritional supplements. What made CEASE unique in the homeopathic world when it was published in 2010 was this combined approach. In classical homeopathy usually only one remedy is given at a time and supplements are not used. In naturopathic medicine on the other hand, such combined protocols are very common. Different strategies can work well together and enhance each other. Tinus came up with a good protocol for autism and related disorders.
4) Research: I would like nothing better than to see research on CEASE, homeopathy etc. We urgently need this kind of research, but it takes resources. I'd like to invite any agency, doctor, research group etc to give me a few children with autism to treat with homeopathy etc in addition to conventional care. Two groups, one gets homeopathy/CEASE etc with the regular care, the other doesn't. Let's see how they are doing a year or two down the line.
Tinus never claimed that vaccines per se cause autism, neither do I. If it was, all vaccinated children would have it and they don't. There are also unvaccinated children who develop autism, usually because of exposure to other potentially harmful substances.
It is never that simple and a disservice to the public by the media to present it that way. Some children are susceptible to vaccine injury and exposure to multiple stressors increases risk. Now that sounds quite different than 'vaccines cause autism', doesn't it?
It's similar to smoking increasing the risk of lung cancer - smoking does not cause lung cancer but it can increase the risk. So can exposure to radon, various chemicals, arsenic in drinking water, lupus and more.
An Accumulation of Stressors
6) Tinus wrote about 'an accumulation of stressors'. At some point the system gives. We now expose our unborn and young children routinely to many medical interventions, from ultrasounds to anaesthetics during C-sections, to antibiotics or other drugs given to the mother while pregnant.
When the baby is born he or she gets a vitamin K injection and in some countries Hep B or TB vaccine injections at birth or shortly after. Although well-meaning, all of these vaccines and even vitamins contain various chemicals, including preservatives. We actually do not know what kinds of long-term effects they can have on the developing brain because nobody has looked.
At two months the vaccinating starts and more pressure is added with antibiotics, Tylenol, pesticides in our food and more. Add vitamin D deficiency (research shows that children born in the winter at a higher risk of autism) and other nutritional deficiencies, bottle feeding, flame retardants in the mattress and off-gassing from new furniture perhaps and we have a perfect storm.
The Threat of Homeopathy
7) Homeopathy has been under attack by the pharmaceutical industry from its inception. It's the competition, and there is no real money in it. People could get and stay well without drugs and that's just bad for business. That simple.
Anke Zimmermann, ND, FCAH, May 25, 2018
Dr. Anke Zimmermann, ND, FCAH
Naturopathic Physician and Classical Homeopath
6550 Throup Road
Sooke, BC, V9Z 0W6
Serving families in Sooke, Metchosin, Langford, Colwood, Victoria, Jordan River, Port Renfew, Greater Vancouver Island, BC
Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 10-6 and alternating Saturdays from 10-4