1) Always reward your child for taking them. You can use affection and praise, a small food item or a favorite activity, including TV or computer time or have them collect stars or stickers that add up to a special treat or toy.
2) Try opening the capsules and mixing them in with apple sauce, pear sauce or any of those tasty baby food purees such as Love Child. You only need a tsp or two to mix them in. You can add additional sweetness with some stevia if needed. Let the child swallow this and then give some more of the unmedicated product.
3) Try mixing contents with jam or nut butter and jam, honey, maple syrup etc, only a small amount is needed. Ice cream and yoghurt can work well also. Ice cream is great because the cold hides the flavor of the supplements.
4) Try using a syringe, mix the opened supplement with one of the above foods, fill a small syringe and gently squirt it far back into your child’s mouth. This can also work with juice.
5) Older children can be taught to take supplements with freshly chewed food, ie let them have a bite of food, bananas work well but pretty much any food works, have them chew it until it’s ready to go down the hatch, then have them place the supplement into the bolus of food, form the food around it and swallow. Your child won’t feel the pill going down. This works well.
6) Children over age 4 can be taught to swallow pills with small candies. Use health food version smarties or gummi bears cut in half. Ask your child to swallow one with liquid and then let them eat one as a reward. After a few tries they generally will swallow pills easily.
Do you have any other ideas or tips? Then please share them below and than you!
Dr. Anke Zimmermann, ND, FCAH is a naturopathic doctor with a special interest in developmental and behavioural disorders, vaccine injuries, homeopathy and CEASE Therapy.